Assorted Questions regarding the future of Python...

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Nov 4 16:47:05 EST 1999

[Andy writes:]
> I haven't done any benchmarking myself, but when I installed VB6 I
> didn't exactly leap off my seat at the speed increase.

And more to the point, VB was (and is), usually, "fast enough".  Who
does huge matrix manipulation etc in VB anyway?  Lots of the focus the
industry has on speed is a red herring IMO.

Just like Python itself - really quite "slow" compared to these
natively compiled languages - but in the entire time I have used it, I
have had to use the profiler exactly twice.  In every other case, it
has been more than "fast enough" (and the development speed far
outweighs the difference anyway).

Whats-a-milli-second-between-friends-ly,

Mark.