Module for generic platform information: platform.py

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Nov 5 08:31:47 EST 1999

Hans Nowak wrote:

> On 4 Nov 99, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > There is a new release of the platform.py module available at:
> >
> >         http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/platform.py
> >
> > Still needed:
> >     · support for WinCE
> >     · support for MS-DOS (PythonDX ?)
>
> Hmm... Doesn't that work already? I tried it several days ago, so
> with an older version of platform.py, obviously. Here's what it says
> when fed to Python-DX:
>
> c:/djgpp/bin/uname.exe: invalid option -- p
> Try `c:/djgpp/bin/uname.exe --help' for more information.
> MS-DOS-7-pc
>
> (OK, the error message doesn't belong there, but that's just because
> of the uname call. Most DOS users won't have an uname at all on their
> system. In spite of this, it does find the right DOS version. By the
> way, note that the os.popen, used to call uname, works. ;-)

Not bad :-) I wonder where the 'pc' in the string comes from...

BTW, I've added an if to prevent the call to 'uname -p' on DOS
platforms, so the above error should no longer show up.

> When run with Python for Windows (on the same PC) it says:
>
> Windows-95-4.00.1111
>
> I don't know what it does on DOS 6 and lower, though. =/

Does Python run on those ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    56 days left