How can I make my assertions smarter?

Magnus L. Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Mon Nov 1 10:55:02 EST 1999

Stuart Hungerford <stuart.hungerford at webone.com.au> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using some simple functions to implement crude precondition,
> postcondition and invariant checking in Python classes.
>
> (Tim: please be gentle ;-)
>
> Is there some neat way to wrap these tests up so I can print any
> code expression that fails, e.g:
>
>      Precondition failed foo.py line 42: spoon.shape == 'bent'
>
> which would appear at line 42 of foo.py as
>
>      pre(spoon.shape == 'bent')

How about using (assuming that you won't use assert):

       pre("spoon.shape == 'bent'")

And then using eval() in your code? Like...

  def pre(condition):
      if not eval(condition):
          raise "Precondition Failure", condition

Pretty simple, IMO...

--

  Magnus          Echelon jamming noise:
  Lie             FBI CIA NSA Handgun Assault Bomb Drug Terrorism