making the Python case to my dept.

Patrick Phalen python-list at teleo.net
Sat Nov 6 14:24:22 EST 1999

[Ivan Van Laningham, on Sat, 06 Nov 1999]:

:: Aahz Maruch wrote:
:: > I believe that there are more jobs for good Python programmers than
:: > people with the skills to fill them.  My company is certainly having
:: > difficulties (jobs in Mountain View! ask me!), and having HP Cupertino
:: > advertising for 10-12 Python positions only increases the difficulty.

:: I really hope that Aahz is correct.  As most of you know, I'm stuck out
:: here in Utah, which is widely known to be significantly behind *any*
:: curve you want to name.
::
:: If there's a curve coming to Utah, I sure hope it will be one with jobs
:: for Pythonistas, because there certainly aren't *any* here now.

Look at it this way: the HP jobs all appear to center around developing
the E-speak technology. Python has been chosen as the official
scripting language for E-speak. Novell has publicly endorsed E-speak. If
Novell decides to builds Netware hooks into E-speak,  they'll probably
hire rafts of Pythonistas in Utah.  :)