Python and Smalltalk and Java envy

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Nov 7 11:20:36 EST 1999

Wostenberg wrote:

> Intersting observation. Perhaps it comes down to those of us who are
> comfortable with niche languages (Python, Smalltalk, Lisp) and those who
> suffer Java-envy . Do Python people, Ada advocates, or little Lispers wring
> there hands about the fact "we are not the most used language?" Why should
> Smalltalkers?

Programmers of minority languages do often wring their hands for the
simple reason that they are often forced to program in majority
languages.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Some of Disney's older properties, such as Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh,
and Alice in Wonderland, came out of books. But the authors' names are
rarely if ever mentioned, and you can't buy the original books at the
Disney store. If you could, they would all seem old and queer, like very
bad knockoffs of the purer, more authentic Disney versions."
	- http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html