Contribution: nice floating point number formatting

Carel Fellinger cfelling at iae.nl
Mon Nov 1 15:33:02 EST 1999

Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolmt at smart.net.au> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 05:41:26PM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
>> And for the spaces in the decimal part, are you shure that is conventional?
>> I can't remember having seen this *ever* in my life. At least not in my life
>> as a programmer.

> There is a convention in some situations/places where the comma (or, in
> Europe, the dot) is dropped entirely and a thin space is used (if you are
> typesetting -- something smaller than a normal inter-word space).

now that you mention the size of the space I'm inclined to think that you
are right. (I really have a rusty retension that needs to be poked now and
again:) It's also quit common these days to use such thin spaces to make
phone numbers memorizable.

> appear quite frequently. IMVHO, the spaces every three digits look nicer
> than throwing a bunch of punctuation marks at the number. :-)

I agree, but only if the spaces are trully thin, not that huge blob of white
space called a space in teletype (terminal) fonts.

--
groetjes, carel