Beginning programming with Python

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 19 05:53:45 EST 1999

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Boudewijn Rempt <boud at rempt.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > You needn't guess about that, I guess ;-). I didn't know there
> > was a design team for Python, I though it was Guido's invention.
>
> it is -- the CWI researchers (including GvR) worked
> on Python's predecessor ABC.
>
> > But I still wonder about the double == - if I can't assign in
> > an if, why insist on ==?
>
> probably because binding and comparision
> are two different things; consider:
>
>     a = b = c
>
> vs.
>
>     a = b == c

Ah, that makes it a lot clearer - I just didn't know about a = b ==
c. After having earned the monthly envelope with software development
for a few years, I'm only know realizing how much I don't know,
never having been educated for it. But I've started to read up on it!

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org