automatic "lotjes trekken"

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Nov 25 11:16:56 CET 1999

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at compaq.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>> So,
>> each time a person is drawn by someone, the program removes that program
>> from everybody else's lists (if that person was in there in the first
>> place).

> That doesn't guarantee that everyone gets drawn, though.
> You might get down to drawing for the last person and find
> that there's nobody left on their list, even though there
> are people remaining on other lists that have never been
> drawn.

Aaah, right. After some more pondering I see what you mean now. Actually
I whipped up a script and I almost posted it until I figured out what
could go wrong. :)

> I can't think of any method that wouldn't have to backtrack
> under some circumstances.

Right, at least apparently it's not as straightforward as I thought.
Backtracking could at least be made very unlikely if you draw for the
person that has the fewest options left first, each time. But I think
even that strategy could end up in a deadlock situation on occasion.

Regards,

Martijn