fatal relocation error when import shared libs on SOlaris 2.6

James L. Preston jlp at apti.com
Fri Oct 8 15:27:00 EDT 1999

I have a new SPARCStation running Solaris 2.6, and I have been
installing the latest versions
of all my favorites (especially Python).
I have gcc-2.95.1, and have installed Python-1.5.2 successfully.

My problem is with extension modules, i.e. PIL and Numeric. If I import
_imaging
or multiarray, for example, I get a message like:
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
./multiarraymodule.so: symbol PySequence_Length: referenced symbol not
found

Basically, it appears that the shared  object module (multiarray.so, for
example) is calling functions
from libpython, or somewhere else, but they don't get found.
I am using gnu ld and the configuration scripts for the modules generate
the
link command "ld -G" for generating the .so files.

Should I generate a libpython.so in /usr/local/lib? Or is there some
other problem?

thanks for your help.

jlp