DOS Python

Hans Nowak ivnowa at hvision.nl
Wed Oct 6 01:17:24 EDT 1999

On 5 Oct 99, William Tanksley wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:03:01 GMT, Hans Nowak wrote:
> >On 5 Oct 99, William Tanksley wrote:
>
> >> I just downloaded the DOS version of Python from Hans Nowak's page.
> >> Probalm is, there don't seem to be any docs or modules included -- it's
> >> just the .exe file.  Where do I get the .py modules which are supposed
> >> to go with it, and where do I install them?
>
> >Looks like a link is missing on my page. Try
> >http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/stuff/python-1.5-lib.arj
>
> Great.  I'll do that right away, if I can find an .arj extractor.
> Speaking of which, is there any particular reason why you used .zip for
> the executable and .arj for the (required) libraries?

That's more for hysterical raisins; I wrote a script which packs a
directory and all its subdirectories in an arj file; I did not manage
to do so for zip files (back then, that is :).

> Okay, this will clearly take some more work.  It seems that the arj
> program doesn't support long file names, but the arj archive includes
> them.  (How'd you manage that?)

Oh it does, if you have the right version. Here's one:

http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/stuff/Arj.exe

I believe this link *is* on my site somewhere. :-)

> >> Also, has someone compiled numPy for DOS?
>
> >I tried to, but for some reason it didn't go well. Python-DX does a few
> >NumPy modules included; nothing spectacular though.
>
> Actually, 'array' is a great addition, and I'll be using it.  I can
> simulate all of the others and just let them run overnight :).
>
> Thanks a lot, Hans.

I don't really maintain the DOS version anymore, but I'll still try
to help and answer questions if I can.

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon
Python Snippets: http://tor.dhs.org/~zephyrfalcon/snippets/