compile.py does not work on WinNT system

Berthold Hoellmann hoel at GermanLloyd.org
Wed Oct 6 03:45:58 EDT 1999

Tim Peters wrote:

> Which version of Python are you running?  3-argument getattr is new in
> 1.5.2.

I remembered this shortly after I posted my query, that's why I
cancelled it. Upgrading is not that easy when python is installed by
your system administrator on a central server, and they are so busy.

OK, I made a private installation of python 1.5.2 and ran setup.py
again, but new problems appeared. The "#[VC50]" syntax does not work for
me. Writing

#[VC50]cpp_options.append('/U DOUBLE')

in my Setup.in gives me

>c:\programme\python\python compile.py
Attempting to start MSDev...
Building workspace (.dsw) file for workspace
  Found python15.lib in c:\programme\python\libs
  Found Python include directory in c:\programme\python\include
Creating project (.dsp) file for StiffOnPlate
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "compile.py", line 927, in ?
    ws = Workspace(msdev)
  File "compile.py", line 864, in __init__
    project = Project(self, self.msdev, line, extra_stuff)
  File "compile.py", line 684, in __init__
    exec extra_stuff+'\n\n\n' in self.__dict__
  File "<string>", line 2, in ?
NameError: cpp_options

What happened here. Is the compile.py docstring not valid anymore?

Cheers

Berthold
--
email: hoel at GermanLloyd.org