do ... while loop

Wesley C. wesc at rocketmail.com
Tue Oct 19 19:57:54 EDT 1999

In article <380BFAF1.116FB21E at mincom.com>,
  Martin Pool <martinp at mincom.com> wrote:
> Cliff Crawford wrote:
> > I always liked BEGIN...WHILE...REPEAT in Forth.  I guess the Python
version
> > would look like:
> >
> >   begin:
> >     x=f.readline()
> >   while x:
> >     print x
> >
> > The point being, you check the condition in the middle of the loop,
instead
> > of at the beginning or the end.
>
> At least the structure of
>
>   while 1:
>     x = f.readline()
>     if not x: break
>     print x
>
> is the same.  So it's really just a matter of whether we want a
larger,
> more specific syntax, or a smaller syntax that relies a little more on
> people using idioms.
>
> Martin

yep, and if you read between the lines, you'll note that:

    while 1:
        :
        if blah-blah:  break

... is just a structure that makes up for the lack of a
do-while loop.  although "while 1:" doesn't look that
proper, it's a default way to entering a loop. Python's
for-loop is really a for-each rather than a pure looping
mechanism.

-wesley

"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."

Wesley C. <wesc at rocketmail.com>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.