Python compilers?

skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Sun Oct 17 09:48:19 EDT 1999

hardwork at freemail.c3.hu wrote:

> > Swallows was an earlier vaporware project that I came up with. The
> > idea behind Swallow is to implement a compiler for a limited subset of
> > Python (along with nonintrusive type annotations). This could be used
> > to create Python based fast extension modules.
>
> > Currently I lack the time to do a lot about it, though. Maybe later, but
> > currently it is complete vaporware! No website. :)
>
> And neither is Viper. :(
>
> I keep hoping to try out the Viperi but I can't find no website for it.
>
> If anyone here has more info I'd appreciate some pointers.

	Sure: I'm the author. There is no website.
Viper isn't ready for the 'big time' yet. It isn't even ready
for the 'small time' yet :-)

	When you see disussion of Viper, it will be me
saying what it does, without giving you a copy to play with.
Sorry. I do need assistance in the design before any copies
are released. The key thing to note is that the development
suggests writing 'pure' python code, and living with
the current inefficiency, may be worthwhile; Viper doesn't
support C extensions (since it uses a different architecture,
just as JPython does). If you can't wait for an optimisation,
try to make sure there is a pure python version of the
code you are hand writing in C.

	For example, Viper does the 'string' module
just fine, even though there is no 'strop', which is
the C optimised version. Thank you Guido for
continuing to support Python versions of modules
and functions, even when optimised ones are provided!

John Skaller, mailto:skaller at maxtal.com.au
1/10 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia
homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
downloads: http://www.triode.net.au/~skaller