linux install problem

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Oct 28 18:37:16 EDT 1999

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> David Minor wrote:
>  > I'm running Mandrake RH 6.1.  I can't find the Modules/Setup file all
>  > the docs tell me to use to configure tkinter.  (my pen-ultimite goal is
>  > to run grail)  I rpm installed python 1.5.2 hoping this would solve
>
>   David:  You need to make sure that Tkinter is installed.  Mandrake
> packages it as "tkinter-..." if I recall correctly; you should be able
> to locate it on the mandrake CD-ROM or an ftp site, and install it
> using "rpm -Uvh" (or something similar).

Just for the sake of correctness of archives, I thought that I'd mention
that installing a tkinter RPM works (if it does) because the Python you
installed from RPM was already configured to use Tkinter.  If it
weren't,
then you'd need to download the Python source, edit the Modules/Setup
file,
and rebuild Python.

If you ever need to build your own Python, you need to download the
source for Python.  When you unpack the tar.gz file, the directory
structure under the directory it creates includes a Modules
subdirectory.
The Setup file in the Modules subdirectory is the one you need to
modify.
Actually, I recommend that you just make a Setup.local file (see the
docs)
so that you'll have all of your modifications to the Python build in one
place, separate from the normal Setup file.

---Tom