do ... while loop

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Oct 15 21:23:13 EDT 1999

Cliff Crawford <cjc26 at nospam.cornell.edu> wrote:
> Pada 14 Oct 1999 23:10:17 GMT, Martijn Faassen bilang:
> | Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:
> | > If Python were Puritan, you wouldn't have for loops. Any loop
> | > can be coded as
> | [snip]
> | > The fact that "for" exists and "while" takes a condition (and
> | > both take an "else" clause) is symptomatic of the
> | > insidious Dutch tendency to permissiveness.
> |
> | Which is why those Mayflower people left the Netherlands for North
> | America way back when. Too permissive. :)
> |
> | it's-okay-to-call-us-insidious-ly yours,

> Eh?  Weren't the people on the Mayflower from Britain?

> trying-to-remember-the-story-of-thanksgiving-from-his-youth-ly yrs, Cliff

They were from Britain. But the pilgrims moved to the Netherlands
to live there for a while, as they were persecuted in Britain. The
Netherlands was too permissive for their puritan tastes, however, so they
went to North America after that. They picked up some sympathizers from
London before their voyage, so more than half the settlers were never in the
Netherlands.

Regards,

Martijn