ANNOUNCE: Python SNMP module

Ilya Etingof ilya at glasnet.ru
Wed Oct 13 15:34:22 EDT 1999

Hi Doug,

Yes, I'm aware of SNMPy module. Initially, I was planning to use it
in my program but it did not fit good enough in my case. My application
uses non-blocking I/O so it is build around the single select() system
call. I have not found an easy way to expose sockets used internally by
SNMPy to my core select() syscall so I ended up developing a SNMP packets
encoder/decoder which can be build into my application's I/O stream.

I have not thought about a better interface yet. I was thinking to
make it handling other SNMP request types and possibly MIB parser...

Thanks,
ilya

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Doug Stanfield wrote:

> Ilya,
>
> I'm very interested in your module and your development.  I downloaded and
> scanned through the files, but haven't had a chance to try anything yet.  I
> assume you are aware of the other SNMP module for Python, SNMPy.
> <http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/snmpy.html>, a page
> set up by Cameron Laird, has a link to information and the source.  He's
> alreadey put there a mention of your efforts.
>
> I understand your module is all Python, and SNMPy is using one or the other
> of the available PD libraries.  It appears some thought went in to the SNMPy
> interface design.  Have you given thought to using the same scheme or does
> that fit with your design plans?
>
> -Doug-

Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.