print longs

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Oct 5 01:23:28 EDT 1999

[Tim]
> I *hope* Python2 has a generic "number" concept, and doesn't distiguish
> among ints, longs, floats and complexii <ahem> by default.

[David Ascher]
> So you want sqrt(-1) to always succeed?  Brr..

Yes -- and it should return 7 <wink>.

sqrt has a right to define its domain.  What I would like to see is this not
fail:

>>> math.sqrt(4+0j)
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: can't convert complex to float; use e.g. abs(z)

sqrt(4) is utterly vanilla, and it's computer-centric nonsense that the
"+0j" somehow makes 4 not 4.  This all ties into a principled reason for 1/2
to return 0.5, of course -- or some other internal equivalent that doesn't
suffer silent catastrophic loss of information.  These "different rules for
different numbers", like tagging long ints with "L", don't make much sense
to people.

> BTW, it's "complices" (from the French for 'accomplice').

J'aime manger le poulet.

a-sister-made-me-memorize-that-once<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim