is there a record separator? RS

Tom Culliton culliton at clark.net
Fri Oct 15 00:10:00 EDT 1999

In article <87aepl6zrl.fsf at banet.net>, greg andruk  <meowing at banet.net> wrote:
>Tom Culliton <culliton at clark.net> wrote:
>> If you're interested you can used deja-news to dig up the original
>> discussion with the details.
>
>I'll try.  Anyone recall the approximate dates and/or subjects?

I was just looking at it.  The subject was

	"Record seperator for readline(s)"

and the dates were Feb 2nd 1998 through Feb 10th 1998 inclusive.

>> To put words in Guido's mouth, my impression was that it would have
>> to be uniformly available to be acceptable.
>
>Figured as much.  Already stuffed a backward compatibility hook into
>PyFile_GetLine() so that objects without a separator attribute don't
>gag, but that's kind of icky.

Guido suggested that it be set to "\n" by default, i.e. it should
always be there.  Check the htread out, lots of good thoughts,
considerations and alternatives, ... are discussed there.