DOS Python

William Tanksley wtanksle at ieng9.ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 7 16:00:24 EDT 1999

In article <199910060516.GAA03225 at axil.hvision.nl>,
Hans Nowak <ivnowa at hvision.nl> wrote:
>On 5 Oct 99, William Tanksley wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 1999 21:03:01 GMT, Hans Nowak wrote:
>> >On 5 Oct 99, William Tanksley wrote:

I'm the same William Tanksley, BTW.  My account died and now I've got
another problem.

>> >Looks like a link is missing on my page. Try
>> >http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/stuff/python-1.5-lib.arj

>> Great.  I'll do that right away, if I can find an .arj extractor.
>> Speaking of which, is there any particular reason why you used .zip for
>> the executable and .arj for the (required) libraries?

>That's more for hysterical raisins; I wrote a script which packs a
>directory and all its subdirectories in an arj file; I did not manage
>to do so for zip files (back then, that is :).

pkzip -ad ?  It's part of the zip command set.

But anyhow, this still isn't working for me, and I'm slamming up against
a nasty deadline.  The problem is that I have to run this under pure DOS,
and I _must_ call an external program.  When I do "import os" under wpy,
it tells me that there's no such module.

The PythonDX library has long file names, which aren't supported under DOS.

arj appears to have two options for truncating the long file names.  Which
of them should I use?

>> Okay, this will clearly take some more work.  It seems that the arj
>> program doesn't support long file names, but the arj archive includes
>> them.  (How'd you manage that?)

>Oh it does, if you have the right version. Here's one:
>http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/stuff/Arj.exe
>I believe this link *is* on my site somewhere. :-)

Not that I could find.  You don't suppose that you could zip the archive up,
do you?

That'd be convenient.  Of course, I already have ARJ and so on, but for other
people -- and perhaps for me as well.

I'm in a world of hurt.  I hope someone can fix this!

>--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)

-Billy