Invoke cgi from cgi script

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Tue Oct 12 14:31:16 EDT 1999

"Magnus L. Hetland" wrote:

> joshzeidner at my-deja.com writes:
>
> >  Yeah but then he has to parse the HTML to get what he wants.  Not to
> > mention that you are needlessly overloading the web server.
> >

> What do you mean? He asked how to call a cgi script from a cgi script
> - and that's what I do. What else could he have meant? What other
> output than HTML would you like from a cgi script?
>
> >  its called DATA SCRAPING and it aint too much fun.
>
> Bah - using re that's no problem.
double bah, cgi-scripts do not need to deliver HTML only.
In fact they can return every datatype you want. plain-text,
images, whatever data. since CGI is 8-bit clean, you
can even deliver pickled python-objects if you want.
(make sure you call them in a sandbox, you never know...)

Best regards

Tino Wildenhain