Just like in our DNA...

srenner at lycosmail.com srenner at lycosmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:30:45 EDT 1999

 Just
> > like in our DNA, there are large pieces of software containing
unused
> > code. Nobody noticed it was no longer needed, so nobody bothered to
take
> > it out.
>
> With all due respect to Guido, who is usually the most low-key
no-bullshit
> person on the planet, the statement about DNA is a beautiful example
of
> marketing-speak.  I thought I was reading an interview with Steve Jobs
for
> a second :-)  Guido, did they slip something into your coffee? ;-)

Wait right there. The analogy between DNA and a "code" or a "blueprint"
is commonly made, but it's not a good analogy. Wittgenstein's "Zettel
#206" (not his numbering) is relevant. But Guido wasn't making that
analogy. He was comparing code which has parts that are never used to
DNA which contains sequences which are never transcribed into protein,
or introns. DNA as "code" for morphology or for an organism is nonsense,
but DNA sequences as code for amino acid sequences is perfectly
reasonable, and the intron/extron distinction makes a fine analogy. It's
unexpected instead of cliched, and it makes perfect sense, so Guido is
right and you are out of line.

sr

> No offense meant, really.  I was just a little surprised.
>
> Mike

> Mike Vanier	mvanier at bbb.caltech.edu
> Department of Computation and Neural Systems, Caltech 216-76
> GNU/Linux: We can't lose; we're on a mission from God.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.