newbie question int to string conversion

prestonlanders at my-deja.com prestonlanders at my-deja.com
Mon Oct 4 12:27:23 EDT 1999

Anders,

This might be what you want.  you can change the line new_item = None
to change the value for exceptional items.  and/or you can change the
if: line to raise an exception for a bad value, your choice.  My way is
more efficient but puts off dealing with exceptional items until
later.

hope this helps.

yours,

---Preston

import re

mylist = ["1", "2", "3f", "foo", "4"]

def string_list_to_int_list(string_list):
    return_list = []
    for item in string_list:
        new_item = None  # default value for invalid items
        if not re.search("\D", item):
            new_item = int(item)
        return_list.append(new_item)
    return return_list

print "Original list was %s" % repr(mylist)
print "Converted list is %s" % repr(string_list_to_int_list(mylist))

In article <m3emfegwg3.fsf at localhost.localdomain>,
  Anders olme <olme at ebox.tninet.se> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm tryinig to convert a list of strings to integer.
> The problem is that not all elements are numbers some of them
contains letters
> Is there any easy way to determine is a strings contains illegal
charaters?
> Now I only get exceptions and I think a exceptionshandler is a bit
overkill
> for my needs.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.