Module for generic platform information: platform.py

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Tue Oct 26 05:45:18 EDT 1999

Last week I started to write a small module for more convenient and
portable access to information about the platform on which Python
is running.

Many people have helped and provided lots of information
about the various Python compatible platforms out there... thanks
everybody :-)

Some things where I need some more help are:
· support for Linux distributions other than redhat, suse, debian, mandrake
· better support for WindowsCE (Jeff Bauer is working on this one)
· support for MacOS (not the X Server version; JvR is working on it)
· support for Amiga, MS DOS and maybe VMS
· a way to find out the true system names and versions on
  MacOS X Server and Solaris (they both use different names
  at the OS level, e.g. SunOS 5.5 instead of Solaris 2.5)

New features:
· system alias support, e.g. SunOS can be reported as
  Solaris

Here is the latest version of that module:

        http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/platform.py

To see if it works on your platform, simply run the script.

Enjoy,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    66 days left