Marking translatable strings

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Mon Oct 11 13:23:08 EDT 1999

    Barry> The problem is string-prefix explosion: you'd have to also
    Barry> support tr'', rt'', and of course all the double, single-triple,
    Barry> and double-triple variants.

I see no reason why a string can't either be translatable or raw, but not
both.

    Barry> Writing it _('translate') is, I think the best approach, and the
    Barry> one I plan to take when I (eventually) get time to
    Barry> internationalize Mailman.

How do you distinguish between a translatable string and a call to a
function named "_"?  If you say, "because we translate everything ahead of
time and eliminate the _() construct before execution", I'd suspect you lost
the ability to translate at run-time.  Slow or not, it seems like a
desirable capability in some situations.

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...