Linux, Python, and pipes

prestonlanders at my-deja.com prestonlanders at my-deja.com
Mon Oct 4 11:01:11 EDT 1999

Here's a question.  Pardon me if this is a FAQ (frequently answered
question.)

Anyone know what's up with pipes and Python on Linux?  It seems that
when trying to pipe the output of a Python program, the pipe does not
start flowing until the Python program exits.  For programs with long
running times and lots of log/debug output, that means you can't begin
to look at the output until the program terminates.

I've seen this on a variety of Linux systems (kernel 2.0 and 2.2) with
a variety of Python versions.

Any ideas?  I'd hate to go mucking around in the internals to see
what's going on.

thanks

---Preston

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/