pickle->zlib->shelve

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Wed Oct 20 06:44:41 EDT 1999

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Thomas Weholt wrote:
> 1. has this been tested and found ineffective in relation to a) speed of
> decompression or b) size of objects not big enough to gain any
> significant size advantage by compression
> 2. if not tested, why? Maybe a subclass of pickle could implement
> compression and decompression of objects?

   Few days ago someone called Ty Sarna implemented CompressedStorage for
Zope (www.zope.org). (S)He took exactly this approach - compress pickled
data. As Zope database could be large, I think (s)he did consider this
approach as efficient even for a number of objects. Not every object
compressed - some small pickles are left as is.
   For more information/code search Zope mailing lists.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru