Bug: (Locale) IDLE/Tkinter/Python?

Adrian Eyre a.eyre at optichrome.com
Thu Oct 7 06:31:44 EDT 1999

>> I'm not sure how well Python copes with this generally, but
>> changing my locale so that the thousands sep and decimals sep
>> (normally ',' , '.') are reversed ('.' , ',') causes a problem
>> in Tkinter, and therfore IDLE.

> Hm, that's odd.  Python is supposed to ignore the locale when you use
> atof(); the locale module exports a version of atof() that honors the
> locale after you call locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, "").
Even if setlocale() was not called through the Python wrapper?

> What platform are you on?
Win32

> It seems that perhaps the Tcl version you
> are using calls setlocale() on that platform?
In the embedding code, there is a call to setlocale(LC_ALL, "") before
Py_Initialise().

Adrian Eyre <mailto:a.eyre at optichrome.com>
Optichrome Computer Solutions Ltd
Maybury Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 5HX, UK
Tel: +44 1483 740 233  Fax: +44 1483 760 644
http://www.optichrome.com