Comparison between Python and "Ruby"

Doug Landauer landauer at apple.com
Fri Oct 29 15:21:32 EDT 1999

> Problems with Python are:
>
> * Tiresome self. are required when each access to instance variable

Not tiresome.  I find the requirement of "self." to be
very beneficial whenever *reading* code.  It clarifies the
distinction between local variable vs class instance.
A definite keeper for 2.0.

> * Ugly method calling for superclass

Ugly is one opinion.

> * No way to automatically convert between long integer and
>      small integer.

Another strong benefit of python.  Automatic conversions are
almost always completely evil.  In  C++, for example.

> * Because there is no genuine GC, memory leak occur often

Hmmm.  "often"?  I've never personally seen one in any of
my python.

> * Function objects are accepted as arguments, but iterators
>     are more elegant.

Hey, scheme might be considered more elegant, too.  But it does
*not* follow that programs written in scheme are more elegant.

> * After all, declarations are featured (global)

This one requires a lot more explanation.  Anyone know what the
intended meaning of this point is?

> ... do people think these comments are justified?

Maybe some of the other ones might be.
--
    Doug Landauer        landauer at apple.com (work)
                         landauer at scruznet.com (not-work)