dynamic modules, bsdi, and zope

R. David Murray bitz.nospam at bitdance.com
Fri Oct 29 18:12:33 EDT 1999

I wrote:
>I'm trying to install zope under BSDI 4.0 and Python 1.5.2.  At first
>I could not get it to compile.  I got many many error messages about
>undefined references.  The Zope FAQ talked about modifying the

Thomas Wouters helped me out with this by working through the
differences between his BSDI 4.0.1 setup and mine.  He eventually
figured out that I needed to recompile Python with dynamic modules
enabled.  But to do that I needed a little voodo, which he provided:

LDSHARED=       gcc -shared
CCSHARED=       -fpic
LINKFORSHARED=  -Xlinker -export-dynamic

I don't know what these do.  I'm also not sure where they really
belong, but what worked for me was sticking them in
Modules/Makefile.  Of course, I had to re-insert them on every
recompile, but it did work.  These entries were correctly copied
into <pythonlibpath>/config/Makefile, and then the Zope
compile went to completion, producing a functioning Zope.
Thanks again Thomas!

--RDM

PS: Hopefully someone who really understands what's
going on here can fix configure (or whatever) so this
will work out of the box...