Linux / Numerical Python compilation problems

Gerald Gutierrez gutier at intergate.bc.ca
Thu Oct 21 03:26:38 EDT 1999

Hi all.

I'm trying to compile Numerical Python from LLNL on my Linux-Mandrake
6.1 / Intel machine.

I can compile the Numeric module just fine, however when I try to
compile the Graphics module so I can use the plotting facilities, I
get compile errors about missing header files such as arrayobject.h,
hlevel.h and dispas.h.

It turns out that some of these header files are from the Numeric
module (e.g. arrayobject.h). The Numeric module is already installed
properly but it seems the Graphics module makefile is not include the
actual "numeric" directory where the header files are. I've included
the step of the make process where the error occurs below.

Other header files like hlevel.h don't exist anywhere on my computer.

I know NumPy can be compiled on a Linux box; I've seen RPMs for
it. How do I solve these compile problems?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Please forward replies to gutier at intergate.bc.ca.

gcc -fpic -I/usr/local/lib/yorick/1.4/h -g -O2
-I/z/bin/../opt/python-1.5.2/include/python1.5
-I/z/bin/../opt/python-1.5.2/include/python1.5 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c
./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c

./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c:75: arrayobject.h: No such file or directory
./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c:76: hlevel.h: No such file or directory
./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c:78: dispas.h: No such file or directory
./Gist/Src/gistCmodule.c:88: warning: `PyFPE_END_PROTECT' redefined
/z/bin/../opt/python-1.5.2/include/python1.5/pyfpe.h:169: warning:
this is the location of the previous definition
make: *** [gistCmodule.o] Error 1