Is httpdapy ready for primetime?

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Sun Oct 24 06:40:24 EDT 1999

On 24 Oct 1999, Erno Kuusela wrote:
> hmm, are you using PyApache (instead of vanilla CGI) because
> of speed?
>
> i did some benchmarking a while back, and found PyApache to be
> about as dog slow as CGI. i supposed this is because PyApache
> creates a new interpreter & imports all modules for each
> request. it's not the fork()ing that's slow with cgi, it's the
> userspace initialization of the cgi program...

   Not only because of speed, but also because of resources - Apache does
not need to fork off CGI, and this is big advantage for busy server.

> httpdapy seems to be very fast, (10-100x faster than CGI or PyApache in

   But it is too incompatible. It requires to write its own modules, where
PyApache just run standard CGIs. What if you and I would get a server whoose
sysadmin wouldn't not allow to use these modules? My CGIs will run just fine
under standard python interpreter, what about httpdapy CGIs?

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru