NT related question (not really Python related)

Gaetan Corneau Gaetan_Corneau at baan.com
Fri Oct 22 08:54:50 EDT 1999

Hello,

My question is not directly related to Python, but maybe you have
encountered this problem, too.

I often execute UNIX command from Python scripts, redirecting the output of
the command to a text file. Then I load the text file, scan it, and do some
processing. As an example, I have a Python function that receives a single
argument. If the argument is a number, I call  os.kill(). If the argument is
a string, I run a "ps -a" command, redirected to a temporary file, and load
its content, and collect the PID of all processes that match the argument.
Then I kill 'em all.

Anyway, that kind of stuff is easy to implement and convenient for me. The
problem is that, sometimes, on *some* NT machines, the file redirection
doesn't work. It doesn't work at all, not even outside Python (i.e. on the
command line). As a QA team member, I have access to dozens of machines, but
only two have the problem from time to time. All have NT4 SP5.

Any idea?
   Gaetan Corneau
   Software Developer (Quality Assurance Team)
   BaaN  Supply Chain Solutions
   E-mail: Gaetan_Corneau at baan.com
   Compuserve: Gaetan_Corneau at compuserve.com
   ICQ Number: 7395494