V - GUIDO !!! was Re: Pirate -> RAD

David Oppenheimer davidopp at megsinet.net
Sun Sep 5 14:22:54 EDT 1999

Dear Phil,

I don't know quite how such a program could utilize Parrot.  I am not averse to
making such a program as V - GUIDO compatible with the other major GUI tool kits such
as Tkinter and PyGtk except for the fact that this would involve a tremendous amount
of additional work for each GUI tool kit (Unless Parrot does some kind of "magic" so
that I wouldn't even have to concern myself with that).  There are different looks
and feels to all of the GUI tool kits out there.  How would Parrot account for these
differences?  Would a user of V- GUIDO choose which kind of code they wanted the
program to output,  and then a Paxo file with an argument for that type of output be
sent to Parrot and then Parrot would do this on its own?

I don't know how much additional work would be involved to maintain compatibility  as
the tool kits themselves change.  It would help to understand exactly how Parrot
works and how Paxo works.  I am not averse to incorporating useful existing code into
this program just as long as it makes things easier not just more complicated.

The advent of a WYSIWYG GUI tool such as V - GUIDO will be a great advance and may
help to give Python a bigger following.  The trick will be to make it easy enough for
a beginner to use and at the same time powerful enough for an advanced programmer to
want to use it too.   I have been looking at several GUI makers out there to figure
out which features would be good to include.

Would it be appropriate to bring the the GUI SIG back from the dead and make this a
formal ongoing project?  Instead of arguing about which GUI tool kit is better, we
could focus our energies on creating V - GUIDO and making it compatible with all of
the major GUI tool kits.

Sincerely,

David Oppenheimer

"Any Sufficiently Advanced Technology Is Indistinguishable From Magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

P.S.  Lets make some magic happen !