Python or Java or "X" from me and my little job

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 11 16:42:57 EDT 1999

>>> 2)Should I go with JAVA instead?

[Gordon McMillan, communicating Stiff Truth with hirsute precision]
>> Not unless you shave with a belt sander and use a gasoline-based
>> aftershave.

[David Oppenheimer]
> Q:  Are trying to point out that Java isn't the right tool for the job
> or are you implying that Java is for insane people or both?

Writing "lightweight sysadmin" tools in a language desiged to prevent you
from making any changes to the system would be certifiably insane.  I happen
to know that Gordon does shave with a belt sander (see his Java book), but
his aftershave is extract of cayenne pepper in a base of cinnamon oil.

but-only-because-it's-cheaper-than-gasoline-ly y'rs  - tim