Any good debuggers for Python? (was Re: using python debugger (pdb) inside emacs debugger mode ...)

Ovidiu Predescu ovidiu at cup.hp.com
Fri Sep 17 19:18:46 EDT 1999

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:51:06 -0400, Randall Hopper <aa8vb at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  |This is in emacs 20.3, but emacs 20.4 has the same gud.el
>
> I'd like one for Emacs myself (ala gdb/dbx with source tracking).  GNU if
> possible but I'll do XEmacs if needed.  However, no luck with the brief try
> I gave PDB/pdb.el/XEmacs.  User friendly PDB is not (see attached for your
> amusement).

I'm using pdb with Xemacs here with no problem. Is a little different from the
gdb interface but is definitely more usable that pdb in command line. I'm using
Xemacs 21.1.6 with pdb.el that comes with it. I would still like to have a
pdb-mode for source files, similar with gdb-mode, but I guess the gdb-mode uses
the gdb annotations to be able to do that, which pdb doesn't have.

A better thing might be to have gdb support debugging Python programs, just
like it supports the other languages, but this is a different topic.

Greetings,
Ovidiu

--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu at cup.hp.com>