CygWin version

Jeff jam at quark.emich.edu
Mon Sep 20 10:22:36 EDT 1999

On Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 09:44:42PM +1000, Hirsch, John wrote:
> Sorry to appear so stupid, But if I open an MS-DOS window then install
> Doskey it installs OK and works. But if I then start Python in the same DOS
> window, Doskey does not seem to work within Python what is my problem.?

I believe what the documentation is referring to is being able to use the
cygwin compiled version of 'readline' in the win32 environment, which you
ought to be able to find binaries of on the net. readline does what doskey
does for DOS-- unlike doskey, however, it allows programmers to hook into it
as a generic library, and with the cygwin compiler (a 'gcc' that runs under
win32) it can run cross-platform in UNIX and win32 environments.

in short, you (probably) need readline ;)

hope that helps.

regards,