PYTHON on ALPHA VMS 7.2?

Uwe Zessin zessin at my-deja.com
Sat Sep 4 05:14:35 EDT 1999

In article <37D005D9.38C27D05 at msx.upmc.edu>,
  Jack Lewis <lewisjd at msx.upmc.edu> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully built PYTHON on ALPHA VMS 7.2 ?
>
> As well as been able to compile and link 'C' programs with Embedded
> PYTHON calls?
> I can't seem to get past the link errors:
>
> %LINK-W-NUDFSYMS, 2 undefined symbols:
> %LINK-I-UDFSYM,         CTL$GL_IMGHDRBF
> %LINK-I-UDFSYM,         _PYIMPORT_INITTAB
> %LINK-W-USEUNDEF, undefined symbol _PYIMPORT_INITTAB referenced
>         in psect PYIMPORT_INITTAB offset %X00000000
>         in module IMPORT file
> DSA900:[PYTHON.PYTHON-1_5_2.VMS.O_ALPHA]PYTHON.OLB;10
> %LINK-W-USEUNDEF, undefined symbol CTL$GL_IMGHDRBF referenced
>         in psect $LINK$ offset %X00000010
>         in module VMS__GETBUILDINFO file
> DSA900:[PYTHON.PYTHON-1_5_2.VMS.O_ALPHA]VMS.OLB;10

I didn't got to test BUILD_DEMO.COM whether it works on OpenVMS Alpha.

Please take the original file, modify it as show below and try again:

    '_OLBDIR'PYTHON.OLB /library, - ! again for strdup() lookup
    PYTHON_VMS:CONFIG.OPT /options - ! created by CONFIG_INITTAB2MAR.COM
  'SYSEXE_LINK'
$!

(This change will make the procedure stop working on VAX - consider
it as a quick hack!)

CTL$GL_IMGHDRBF is resolved by using /SYSEXE and _PYIMPORT_INITTAB is
resolved by CONFIG_INITTAB.OBJ - the General Manual for Python on
OpenVMS explains the last part.

                             ---

I will be out of town for the next 2 weeks - if it does not work,
free feel to contact me after 20-SEP-1999.

--
Uwe Zessin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/