Moving from Perl to Python

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Sat Sep 25 21:20:41 EDT 1999

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999 00:35:25 +0000 (UTC), jonathon wrote:
>On 25 Sep 1999, Harry George wrote:

>>I also have the perl books and like cookbook.  I'm in the process of
>	[ Text deleted ]
>>Except for copyright issues, I'd say just redo all the Perl

>	A request to translate all the Perl Books into Python?  <g>

I think he just wanted the Perl Cookbook, which would indeed be great
(except, of course, for the parts which are trivial in Python -- we don't
need no hashes-and-list man page ;-).

>	Other interesting/useful language translations might be

>	_Numerical Fortran_/_Numerical C_/_Numerical Pascal_
>			<< Or has this been done?  >>

That's facinating indeed --  but I suspect that NumPy already has all of
those implemented (in C and linked to Python).

>	Donald Knuth's _The Art Of Programming_  Python instead of MX.
>	<< At one time, Bill Gates automatically hired anybody who had
>	worked through 75% or more of the questions in that book. >>

No, all they had to do was read through the whole series and be able to
prove it.  75% solution rate would be amazing.  However, he didn't say
he'd hire you; he said, "send your resume to me."  I can't see any
employer turning anyone who's done that away, though.

Impossible -- the purpose of MIX is to provide an assembly language which
allows the algorithms to be demonstrated at a low level.  If Knuth used
Python for everything else, he'd still have to invent an assembly language
for the chapters on code generation.  (See his homepage for more details.)

>	Sedgewick's book on algorithms.  Don't remember the title
>	offhand.  :-(

"Algorithms".  A very good idea.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley