OH, I'm A Lumberjack And I'm OK...

David Oppenheimer davidopp at megsinet.net
Fri Sep 3 01:00:15 EDT 1999

... I play with Python all night and I sleep all day... lol

I received an e-mail message which told me that WIN ZIP sometimes deletes part
of the extension and to try adding ".tar" to the file or placing a "." before
the tar extension if it was missing.  This allowed me to extract the files
Robert Kern was recommending, but still the PIL doesn't work.

Again I will relate some hopefully relevant info in the hope (getting less
hopeful about this all the time) that someone will know what the $%@# is going
on and how to fix it so I can run files from the PIL.

Computer: Packard Hell P-75
OS: Windows 98
Python Version: Python for Windows 1.5.2 with all of the win32all - 125
extensions

PATHS     (yes, I took the suggestion to place my Python & related files in
pathways that have no spaces)

Path to Python executable: C:\Python
Path to Tcl executable: C:\Tcl\bin
Path to PIL: C:\Python\PIL
Path to Tkinter: C:\Python\Lib\lib-tk
Path to Painter (a program that I am more than curious to see work, I am almost
obsessed now): C:\Python\scripts\painter.py

My Traceback (error message):

>>> Traceback (innermost last):
  File "C:\Python\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\scriptutils.py", line 237, in
RunScript
    exec codeObject in __main__.__dict__
  File "C:\Python\scripts\painter.py", line 12, in ?
    import Image, ImageTk
ImportError: No module named Image

My Autoexec.bat settings:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS;
set PATH=%PATH%C:\mingw32\bin;
set PATH=%PATH%C:\PYTHON;C:\PYTHON\PIL;C:\TCL\BIN;C:\PYTHON\LIB\LIB-TK;

I promise this will be my last posting regarding this (I am sure that some of
you are as sick of seeing me post about this as I am frustrated by not being
able to get the PIL to work on my machine)  Thanks for all of the suggestions
and help.  I am certain that the level of support and helpful suggestions I have
gotten here are much greater than I would have received in the onion (mine)
fields.

Thanks,

David O.