python call external program (WHAT THE?!)

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Thu Sep 16 02:14:48 EDT 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> yet another Linux zealot wrote:
> > # use Linux instead of MS rubbish
>
> looks like someone hasn't read the Linux Advocacy
> mini-HOWTO in quite a while.
<snippped>
> and this news-
> group is open for all Python users.  if you have
> a problem with that, go start your own news-
> group.

While Fredrik has a point (too many Linux advocates, including sometimes
myself, get too heated about it), he has another point in his sarcastic
comment too -- many Python users are old-time UNIXers, who don't know and
don't care about such things as COM, OLE, Win32 API....

Should we consider forking the group, creating

comp.lang.python.windows
comp.lang.python.misc
comp.lang.python.numeric (Now that the Matrix-SIG is more about using
                          NumPy rather then developing for it)
(And if anyone volunteers,
comp.lang.python.moderated)

I've been thinking about this quite a while, but never got the nerve to
suggest it in public until I saw Fredrik's post.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
INTERNET: Learn what you know.