language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Sep 2 10:10:21 EDT 1999

Ian Clarke wrote:
> I am not talking about what the user notices, I am talking about
> what the developer does - and I would venture that most Python code
> is distributed with its source, where as this is rare with Java
> code.  Whether the end-user notices this is not relevant.

You can use a number of tools to package up Python apps in compiled
form, (including freeze in the Tools directory). Both Fredrik and I
are authors of utilities of this kind, and I can certainly assure you
that many developers are using our tools.

Arguing that there's a "social" component to the distinction between
interpreted and compiled, and then arguing that it's what the
'developer does', not what the 'user notices', indicates a fondness
for disputation in excess of any regard for relevance.

- Gordon