'ipfw' IOCTLS available as python module?

Jeff jam at quark.emich.edu
Thu Sep 30 10:04:23 EDT 1999

greetings all,

I have need to write a firewall configuration script in python, and one of
my design goals is that python not act as just another /bin/bash
replacement. what I'd like is a module that knows how to directly make the
ioctl calls described in the ipfw(4) man page (so I don't have to resort to
'os.system("/sbin/ipchains -F")', which looks ugly). I am willing to work on
the project, but I thought I saw *something* whiz by on the mailing list
regarding this same issue. however my searcg via python.org didn't turn up
anything.

does anyone have any pointers they'd be willing to share?

regards,