Text UI

Damond Walker dwalker at iximd.com
Sat Sep 11 08:25:54 EDT 1999

William Tanksley wrote in message ...

[snip]

>That's cool.  It would be nice to have a standard Python text mode
>interface (wxPython would be the best imaginable ;-).

    Acouple weeks ago I wrapped up an initial version of a Text based UI for
Python and Curses.  It uses plain curses (not ncurses).  It's event based,
supports the notion of a container (either full screen, or dialog based),
controls (has labels, command buttons, text boxes, a progress bar), and is
100% Python.  Before a dialog is painted to the screen, it will gather the
text that is about to be covered by the dialog.  When the dialog goes away,
it automagically repaints the screen.
    It's not perfect, could stand to be looked over by a real Pythoneer, but
it works for my use right now.  I have webspace so I probably should put it
up for anyone to come and get it.  In the meantime, if someone wants to play
with it, send me email and I'll send it to ya right away.
    I was thinking of putting it out under the LGPL but that remains to be
seen.

                        Damond