language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Brent A Ellingson bellings at badlands.NoDak.edu
Tue Sep 7 20:39:48 EDT 1999

Mr Kelvin Lee (kelvin at scientist.com) wrote:

: What are the most popular interpreted languages around?

I was under the impression that the most popular interpreted language,
by a /very/ large margin, is Intel 80386 machine code.  From the small
amount I've read, I was led to believe that all modern PCs basically
have specialized RISC chips which do nothing but run a small, thin, very
fast x86 interpreter all day, every day.

That may be simplifying things a lot, but it might give you some idea
how silly the distinction between "interpreted" vs. "compiled" is.

--
Brent Ellingson (bellings at badlands.NoDak.edu)
"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."