Python for younger children

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Sep 21 15:26:58 EDT 1999

Stuart Hungerford <stuart.hungerford at webone.com.au> writes:
>    I'd be interested to hear your experiences, my 10 and 8 year old are
>    keen to learn as well.  I've downloaded Alice (see www.alice.org)
> which
>    uses Python to manipulate 3D graphics objects, but I'm sure there
> must
>    be a simpler approach.

There's a turtle.py module in Python 1.5.2 that requires Tk.  Try this:

amarok lib-tk>python
Python 1.5.2 (#80, May 25 1999, 18:06:07)  [GCC 2.8.1] on sunos5
>>> from turtle import *
>>> reset()
>>> forward(30)
>>> right(90)

For some reason it only shows the turtle when it's actually moving;
someone should implement showturtle()/hideturtle().

The NSA response was, "Well, that was interesting, but there aren't any
ciphers like that."
    -- Gus Simmons, "The History of Subliminal Channels"