French pun on Python! :-)

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Sep 13 23:01:35 EDT 1999

Hi, people.

While introducing Python to a few friends, I noticed they tend to naturally
use `je Pythonne', `nous Pythonnons', etc. as an easy pun on the word Python.

I think that English people pronounce `pie-ton', while French people say
`pea-to[n]' (said faster, with the `n' silent).  This has the same sounds as
for the word `piton'.  A `piton' is a familiar word to design any mechanical
device on which someone pushes, like an electrical button, or often, one
of the keys of a computer keyboard.  So, `je pitonne', `nous pitonnons',
etc. already became a familiar way to express any soft computer hacking.

I thought this might amuse some of you.