Spanish Inquisition?!

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sun Sep 5 14:12:34 EDT 1999

David Oppenheimer <davidopp at megsinet.net> wrote:
> In a previous thread (about languages interpreted versus languages
> compiled) there was talk of the Spanish Inquisition.  I am guessing that
> this is 1) a joke or 2) the code name for a "secret" project to create
> compiled code from python code and thereby permanently blur the line for
> Python.  Anyone know anything about this?

> I know no one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition, but if its coming
> I'd like to know about it.

Yes, this is currently vaporware starting to lose its vapor. It's been
called 'Swallow' by me (don't know if it's African or European). More
recently, John Skaller has been working on Viper (which apparently actually
has some source code, so even less vapor). Before my time, there have
been other attempts I don't know the name of. :)

The Spanish Inquisition is definitely a cool name for such a project,
though. :)

Regards,

Martijn