language interpreters/ interpreted languages weaknesses?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Mon Sep 6 17:17:15 EDT 1999

Jean Jordaan wrote:

> Z-code! That's the bytecode of the Infocom text adventure engine. Infocom
> wrote Z-code engines for all their target machines, and released one version
> of the bytecode of the games for all of them. It's been implemented as Inform
> by Graham Nelson, and ported all over the place. Does this qualify :?

It doesn't qualify for the "published" part. Infocom never publicised
the
specification of the Z-machine; it was reverse-engineered later by I.F.
enthusiasts.

The Amsterdam Compiler Kit uses an abstract machine code called EM with
published specification, although it's intended more as an intermediate
form
between the front and back ends of a compiler than as a medium for
distributing
programs.

Greg