NEWBIE: Try to intialise a big C structure easily from Python...HELP!!!!

etsang at my-deja.com etsang at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 17 16:01:52 EDT 1999

Hey, I am trying to initialise a C structure from
Python.
My Aim is to init a C structure without passing
each indivual elements through the interface, but
rather package the whole thing and pass that it
one time. Then the C may do somethign about it,
initialise its won struct and pass back a struct
with the same kind of elements but with different
parameters. I am stuck with the intialising the C
struct part, and have not clue how to convert the
C struct back to a PyObject appropriate to pass
back to the Python script. Please help . Below is
the code.

Error: segmentation fault occurres at
PyArg_ParseTuple
(args,"s:mymath",string_from_Python))
PyString_Size(string_from_Python)calls inside
function pyfunc_mystruct

Here is what I tried:

>From the python script I have:
import struct
import mymath_wrapper
fmt = "120sf"
a=255
b='knights who say ni'
c=3.14159011841
data = struct.pack(fmt,a,b,c)
mymath_wrapper.mystruct(data)

in my mymath_wrapper.c file I have:
#include <Python.h>
#include "mymath.h"

PyObject*
pyfunc_mystruct(self, args)
 PyObject *self, *args;
 {
 PyObject* string_from_Python;
 if(!PyArg_ParseTuple
(args,"s:mymath",string_from_Python))
 	return NULL;
 if(PyString_Size(string_from_Python)!= sizeof
(struct diffstruct))
 {
 	PyErr_SetString(PyExc_AssertionError,
"Given strgin not a good size");
 	return NULL;
 }

 globaldiffstruct = (diffstruct *)
PyString_AsString(string_from_Python);

 printf("globaldiffstruct calling within C:%d  %s
%f\n",globaldiffstruct->a, globaldiffstruct-
>b,globaldiffstruct->c);
 /* python side will print the last res value*/
 return string_from_Python; /* not correct, deal
with this later */
 }

 static PyMethodDef mymathMethods[] =
 {