Choosing a MySQL interface

Bob Kline bobklin at idt.net
Wed Sep 8 19:54:30 EDT 1999

jims <aardvark_three at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:rtcnbgef1iv21 at corp.supernews.com...

> I'm a bit of a Python newbie, and am building an app
> that uses a MySQL database (the latest version) as the back
> end.

> I wonder if anyone can tell me whuich is the currently "correct"
> way to connect to a MySQL database using Python. There
> appear to be several methods available (like here and here)
> but I can't tell which one is the right one to use at this time.

The advantage of the first package to which you refer
(MySQLmodule) is that it appears to build properly on the
two platforms I've tried it on.  The advantage of the second
package (MySQLdb) is that it conforms to the new standard
API for database access using Python.  Unfortunately,
although I've succeded in getting the second package
working on Linux, the build fails on NT.  I posted a
message last week reporting the error messages I got
and asking what components are missing from the win32
Python distribution that are needed to make the error
messages go away, but no one seems to know the
answer.

I hope you have better luck finding knowledgable folks on
this list.  Of course, if your db client is on UNIX or Linux,
you may not have any problems.

Bob